Riail na Gaeilge (The Irish Rule)
As the purpose of the course is to develop the pupils’ Irish language fluency, Coláiste Laighean has a strict but fair rule regarding communication:
- If a student speaks a complete sentence in English, he or she will receive a verbal warning.
- If a student speaks a complete sentence in English for a second time, he or she will receive a further verbal warning.
- If a student speaks a full sentence in English a third time, his or her parents are informed.
- If a student speaks a full sentence in English a fourth time he or she will have to be removed from the course and picked up by his/her parents/guardians.
Rialacha Ginearálta (General Rules)
- Pupils may not leave the campus for any reason whatsoever without the permission of the Coláiste Principal. Parents/guardians must sign their child out should they wish to bring him/her to a match or other activity and sign him/her in on return to the campus.
- Mobile phones are collected at the start of each camp and are returned to the students approximately every three days (7.15-7.30pm) to facilitate home contact. Further home contact can be facilitated through the Principal.
- Bullying will not be tolerated at Coláiste Laighean. The Coláiste has adopted the anti-bullying and child protection policies of Good Counsel College.
- Consumption/possession of cigarettes, alcohol or other drugs is prohibited.
- Pupils must be in their assigned accommodation by 10:30pm and must remain there until 8:30am the following day.
- Serious company-keeping is not allowed and it is left to the discretion of the Principal to deal with this sensibly in the best interests of the student, parent and college.
Please note it is not our intention to send anyone home. We hope that all pupils will enjoy the course and leave with a better standard of Irish. There will be classes on the first day to teach students the basics necessary to get by. However we will implement Riail na Gaeilge and those who are not committed to making an honest effort should not apply for the course.
In the unlikely event that your child is removed from the Coláiste, fees are non-refundable.